Friday, April 20, 2012

Movie Reviews, finally!


Oooh...my second post of the day! I must be feeling creative! I promised movie reviews, and so ye shall have it!!

Hunger Games

This years "big" movie, a global phenomenon. I didn't see that, just a decent movie. Since I work in a bookstore, I did read the books. I was actually in the process of reading the final book in the series when I went to see this movie. That being said, the book was much better than the movie. The book gave more background to the characters and settings, more insight (obviously) into their thought processes. Since I've read the other books, I'm not sure if the actors picked are able to become such...emotional creatures. There's an awful lot of angst and unnecessary emotions coming up, so I hope the actors can pull it off. Many parents were worried that the brutuality of the Games on film and book would be too much for their children to handle. When the Games first begin, you realize that these are some really brutal and violent "kids" playing this game. The violence in the beginning is almost too much, but the main character (Katniss Everdeen) tries to rise above all that, using compassion and reason. The movie also shows stuff not seen in the book, like what's going on in the Districts during Katniss' tiny rebellions, or conversations between the Game-Master (Wes Bently, I believe, with a mesmerizing beard) and the quietly psychopathic President Snow (Donald Sutherland). There were great depictions of Game technology (holograms, touch-screens, etc) which greatly contrasts between the poverty of the various districts. One or two scenes made me jump, and at least one that could have been shot better (but I suppose it made sense given the chaos of the opening Games scene).

Here's a final mind-fuck for you: people say they can't watch a movie where teens kill each other for the brutal entertainment for a brutal yet care-free society. Yeah, well, you paid $9.00 friggin' dollars to do just that!


Wrath of the Titans

Finally, some Titans in your Titans movie. I liked the first (remake) movie with Sam Worthington as Perseus. Greek Mythology done up on a large scale, one of my favorite subjects at school. One thing that really stood out for me wasn't the storyline but the special effects. They did that real right!! The death of the Gods effect was really cool, but was subtle enough to know what happened and to blend in with the action. The CGI character of Chronos (the father of the Gods) was really well done, just a behemoth and unstoppable force of lava and power. The Labryinth was probably my favorite effect. It didn't look slick, it wasn't supposed to, but was made of stone, realistically pounding together and falling apart. Finally, the weapons of the Gods (put together in a way I've never heard before, but Perseus and his son have). They crackled with power, seemingly burning when another DemiGod picks them up, just cool and functioning as you would think they should.

Character development from the last flick was one thing I had a problem with. Perseus suddenly has no problem being the son of a God, to follow in their footsteps. And Hades was the main villain last time, now is a sympathetic character, a good guy. You just didn't feel the evil eminating from this guy like before. And Perseus had no problem with him, despite Hades killing his whole family along with thousands of people, and despite Perseus wanting to kill Hades being the plot point of the last movie. But, whatever...

1 comment:

  1. The only thing I have against you posting this many times in one day is dealing with the fucking "prove you're not a robot" thing.

    ReplyDelete