Monday, April 13, 2009

Top 5

Well, I'm not feeling very well but still have to go to class later on, so I'd thought I'd post this. It's something I've been working on for a while.

I was talking to somebody at work a few weeks ago about a meme she received about the top 25 albums/songs that influenced her. I really couldn't decide. I was always more influenced by books, TV or movies than by music (that came later on). In case you're wondering, my first 2 would be Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' "I Love Rock 'N Roll" and Bryan Adams' "Summer of '69." The first rock song I ever heard (my mom was a John Denver fan) was Joan Jett, and it was on the back of the bus going to grammar school. The "cool" kids had a boom box in the back of the bus, and played it over and over again. I had that sucker memorized, and I sang it so much, my Mom did too. The second was "Summer of '69." This was the first tape I remember listening too again and again. It was my shower song. I still know all the words like my name was Bryan Adams.

Anyhoo, I don't think I have enough juice to start my own meme, so feel free to join in. Let me know so I can check it out....

My Top 5 current favorite CD's that you can listen to all the way through:

1. Green Day American Idiot
Listen to Dookie, then this one. The amount of maturity is incredible. It's a whole storyline.

2. Nirvana Nevermind
Supposedly the greatest songwriter of my generation, I think it's a great album regardless of that fact. Classic punk rock encased in flannel.

3. Evanesence The Open Door
Yeah, I'll take shit for this one, but it's a great gothic album. Much less "I hate myself and want to die" feeling from their first album--which is still great but a little depressing at times. Amy Lee's voice is incredible, operatic.

4. Beastie Boys License to Ill
Great rhymes, one of the first commercially successful rap albums that's actually good. Classic old school.

5. Metallica Kill 'Em All
The first Metallica album I bought after a summer of hearing "Motorbreath" and "Seek and Destroy" along with their Black album.


My Top 5 current favorite books (and/or series):

1. Kevin Smith My Boring Ass Life
Boring? Hell no! It's incredibly addicting and makes you want to start a blog.

2. Stephen King The Stand
A post-apocalyptic thriller that's really long but you really want to find out what's happening.

3. Alex Ross Marvels/Kingdom Come
Two graphic novels by the best painter in comics today. They're bookends--one tells the beginning of the Super Hero universe, the other tells the end. Two different comics company, great writing and artwork.

4. Karin Traviss Star Wars Republic Commando Series
Mandalorians and Commandos. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and these are my favorite books yet.

5. Jim Butcher Dresden Files Series
The covers state its like "Buffy meeting Phillip Marlowe." A lot of humor, fantasy, magic all rolled into one. I'll read these until Butcher can't write anymore.

What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Shower song...I love it! OK, now I won't be in the closet anymore - I like Bryan Adams. At one point in high school I even owned one of his albums...and that was a long time after Summer of 69 came out!

    Feel better, Mikey!

    ReplyDelete